Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Make it special...

Our neighbors invited us over for dinner last Friday and I was so excited!! Not only are they sweet, but they are Christians, too!! I have always wanted to live in a neighborly neighborhood{other than in an old farmhouse on land :)} and am so glad to be making friends.
I wanted to take something as a hostess gift. I decided to take a plant-I love houseplants!! All those fancy pots are not in my budget so I decided to gussy up a plain terra cotta pot. First, I painted the pot, then I mod podged strips of papers torn out of an old book. I just coated the pot then layered the papers, let it dry and added several more layers of mod podge. After the mod podge was dry, I stenciled their initial, and used rub-ons from Wal-Mart on either side of the B. I used a little Alene's tacky glue to adhere the twine around the top of the pot. This covered the ugly edge at the top as well as adding to the cute factor. I planted a small house plant, watered it, and added spanish moss. Voila!! A cute, personalized gift!! Total cost: under $5. I had most of the items on hand so that helped.
My neighbor liked it and we had a great time!!

19 comments:

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

I love how it turned out!

Jen said...

I love it!!!! This could also be really cute with some old sheet music modge-podged onto it--oh, my mind is off and running!

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I am glad you came to visit!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

What a wonderful idea with the hostess gift! And so glad that you are meeting friends in the neighborhood.

Unknown said...

That is really nice.

Joanna said...

That turned out really cute!

Jill said...

DARLING!!!! and your invited for dinner! :)

Georgia Girl said...

Cute Elise! I much rather have something like this than any bought gift! Came from the heart and those are 100% better! Glad you had a great time and met a new friend in your neighborhood!

Oh yeah thanks for picking up those cards! So nice of you to do this for me!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a great idea. I love it! Xazmin at This is the Year is having a Mod Podge party today. You should put your project over there. I love it!

XOX
Jen

Macey said...

That is so pretty! I am loving the monogrammed stuff!
: )
Macey

Amy R. said...

That is a great gift! I'm glad they invited you over. That seems to be a dying art these days. Maybe your neighborhood is not so bad after all!
Amy

Xazmin said...

What a fabulous gift! I love how it turned out...I am so glad you linked up!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Glad you linked up and we got to see this darling little pot. I love it and I bet your friend did too!

DairyQueen said...

that is precious!! I'm sure your neighbor loved it! So glad you got to get together with them :)

Call me tonight, I should be home. Or you can email me your number and I'll call you. We need to make our plans fast!

Farmgirl Paints said...

That is sooo sweet. Wish you were my christian neighbor. I'm sure they loved it:)

amybluestar said...

You did a fabulous job! I enjoyed visiting -

Amy
http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Love it! So cute :).

Nicole A. said...

Very cute, love this idea! What a great idea for a personal touch!

Roeshel said...

Love it! You did a great job - it's so pretty!

Ruth said...

Love, love, love this pot!!!!

Ruth